The Medical Society of Prince Edward Island (MSPEI) represents approximately 400 physicians, retired physicians, and medical learners in PEI.
MSPEI leads, represents and supports PEI physicians. We are the united voice of PEI physicians, striving to help create a high-quality and sustainable healthcare system of which physicians and patients are proud.
Our current priorities are to:
- Support physicians in growing their leadership abilities so they can have an even greater impact in improving how care is delivered on the Island;
- Help create a healthy and resilient physician workforce through health and wellness programs and awareness;
- Negotiate competitive compensation and administer member benefits to foster a positive and attractive place for physicians to work;
- Work with government to:
- improve physician recruitment and retention;
- advance health innovation and technology, including introducing a high-quality provincial electronic medical record; and
- identify ways where physicians can have the greatest impact on population health (i.e. advancing public health issues).
- Run an organization using best governance practices and with the highest degree of professionalism.
Established in 1855, MSPEI is the second oldest medical society in Canada. MSPEI is a division of the Canadian Medical Association.
- MSPEI Bylaws
- Strategic Plan
- 2023 Annual Report
- Year in Review 2021-22
- 2021 Annual Report (PDF version)
- 2020 Annual Report (PDF version)
Finding a Family Doctor
MSPEI is commonly mistaken as the organization responsible for recruiting physicians and helping Islanders find a family doctor. While ensuring PEI has enough physicians to care for all Islanders on a timely basis is of great importance to MSPEI, the responsibility to recruit physicians to the province and manage the Patient Registry lies with Health PEI and the Department of Health and Wellness.
The Patient Registry Program helps connect Islanders to a family doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients, whether you have just moved to Prince Edward Island or have relocated within the province.
Phone: 1-855-563-2101 | Website
Complaints about a physician
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island is the professional body responsible for licensing doctors and regulating the province’s medical profession. Individuals with questions about the licensing process, or who may have a complaint about a physician, are requested to direct those questions to the College.
Phone: (902) 566 – 3861 | Website