Parental Leave Benefit Program
Effective November 1, 2023, the Parental Leave Benefit Program has been expanded to allow up to 26 consecutive weeks with an increased benefit per week.
The Medical Society of PEI administers a Parental Leave Program for eligible physicians in Prince Edward Island. The Program provides for up to 26 consecutive weeks of benefits for a physician who intends to take leave during and following the birth or adoption of their child. This program is available for both salaried and non-salaried physicians who are Ordinary members with the Society and are in good standing.
- Employed with Health PEI for 20 weeks or more
- Meets one of the following criteria:
- Becomes a natural mother or father
- Adopts a child
- Obtains legal guardianship of a child
- Submits an application for Parental Benefits at least four weeks before planned leave.
Please note: Salaried physicians are required to apply for Employment Insurance prior to receiving benefits from MSPEI's Parental Benefit Program.
If you have any questions regarding the Parental Benefit Program, please contact Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-368-7303 press 0.